In 1836 John Gregg acquired the 1,005-acre plantation. He gifted the grounds to his son Evander A. Gregg. At the time Evander was eighteen years old. The home was believed to be built between 1836-1846 and was called the Gregg House. It was constructed as a raised cottage with a timber frame. The house switched several hands between 1865-1934 until Joseph Wilds Wallace, Jr. acquired it and began calling the plantation Red Doe. Red Doe was the name of the horse Andrew Hunter rode during the famous American Revolution Escape. Hunter stole the horse from British Loyalist Col. David Fanning.
In 1940, Marion Chisholm Wallace and his wife Anne Pearce Wallace acquired Red Doe (Gregg House). During that year the Wallace’s fully restored the house. Years later, the Robert Pearce Wilkins family acquired the plantation. In 2006, after passing through generations of Gregg descendants, Robert Wilkins and family donated the house to the Pee Dee Riles organization which created the Red Doe Plantation, Inc. a non-profit organization. Some restoration took place in 2014 with the help of grant money from the South Carolina Department of Transportation to stabilize the home. The home was then taken over by Preservation South Carolina to prep the property for sale. In 2017, the Guthrie family purchased Red Doe with the intentions to fully restore the property, raise their children in the home and offer the Pee Dee a beautiful property to host weddings and special events.
National Register of Historic Places, Carl Hill, About Red Doe Plantation, 1839 Will of John Gregg, Information contributed by Cyndi Shull, Gavin Jackson, Florence County Approves Red Doe Plantation Preservation (Florence, SC: Morning News, December 24, 2013), Information contributed by Cyndi Shull: Matt Petrillo, Red Doe Plantation to Reopen After Renovations(Myrtle Beach, SC: WBTW News 13, October 6, 2014)
Copyright © 2019 Red Doe Plantation - All Rights Reserved.